lördag, december 24, 2005

I'm dreaming of a fucked up Christmas...

Yes! Yes! ooooooh yes! This year I really have to thank TV4 (a commercial TV station here in Sweden) with all my heart for the ultimate "Fuck Christmas!". Let me explain myself:

Every year is the same holiday rubbish over and over and over again. Every sitcom, series, show, etc. has a Christmas special, and of course, let us not forget about the same annoying Christmas movies that take over the telly during december. It's always the same old family entertainment junk filled with fat guys in red suits, people spending shitloads of money and of course the legend of the birth of baby Jesus. But this year, TV4 gave us creeps and lovers of distastefullness a wonderful present. They could have written "Fuck Christmas" and leave the message for two hours, but instead they really went all the way and showed "The Omen" at midnight. Such a beautiful way to begin Christmas Eve.

For those of you who have been living under rock, "The Omen" is a classic horror flick from 1976, where a little kid called Damien turns out to be the very son of Lucifer. Along with "The Exorcist", this is one of the movies that really managed to scare the shit out of me when I was a little kid. Later in life they became the only horror films among my all time personal favourites.

Nothing like a masterpiece of satanic horror to really put a big smile on the face of a cynic like myself during the holidays. And the fact that it was none other than mainstream media who pulled off this very display of sheer irreverence, cynism and distastefullness is just priceless and actually quite moving.